Monday, September 18, 2006


Work and Prayer
...a day in the life of...

People sometimes ask me what I have to do during the week...which is a fair question, considering that some people only see me in action for 1 hour each week at Sunday Worship. So, I am not at all offended by this question, and long ago I decided that it was worthwhile to have an answer ready!

In general terms, my work as the rector (parish priest/pastor/minister) of a small, suburban, Anglican Parish falls into three categories: Pastoral, Administrative, and Custodial. There is quite a bit of overlap between these three areas, but it is convenient to separate them, at least at first.

Pastoral: these are the type of things you might think of first in reference to a pastor, such as leading worship, teaching, preaching, administering the sacraments, visiting the sick, calling on parishioners, having lunch or afternoon tea with parishioners, corresponding via email and talking on the phone with them. This area takes by far the majority of my time, and some things such as preaching or teaching require a good deal of preparation and study, in addition to the actual performance of duty.

Administrative: this pertains to the day-to-day responsibility for running an organization of 100 or so people, and taking ultimate responsibility for a range of programs, individuals and smaller groups: Church School, Choir/Organ/Other Music, Newsletter, Website, Sunday Bulletin, Vestry, Treasurer, Publicity. The Parish Newsletter is a good case study of what I need to do in order to have good programs: first, I decide what the content will be; then, I write it; then, I go to Kinko's to copy and fold it; finally I distribute it through the mail to our mailing list and to the webmaster!

Custodial: this pertains to the care of our facilities. We have about an acre of Pacific NW land with a couple dozen or so Fir Trees, a driveway, parking lot, sidewalks, two public buildings (with roofs!), restrooms, kitchen, parish hall, library, books, vestements, furnishings, office equipment...etc...etc... (NOTE: I do find myself changing lightbulbs, sweeping and mopping.)

I have the benefit of capable and dedicated volunteers who make it possible to carry out these duties and activities, and I could not do without them. For example: deacon, vestry, teachers, nursery volunteers, lay reader, acolytes, organist, treasurer. However, I am still the only full-time person on the site, so I accomplish my work during the course of around 60 hours or so each week (sometimes more and sometimes less, depending on the season).

For any young men out there who are considering a vocation to the sacred ministry, rest assured that there is no training or bit of knowledge that you have acquired thus far, which will not be put to good use for God's Kingdom! In this life, you will be fully engaged on every level.

Now, because I am an Irishman, I tend to get myself into other things, too. So a fourth category is needed for OTHER activities, which inevitably eat up a day or two, here and there...such as: Secretary of Synod (preparing minutes), working at Diocesan Summer Camp; editing musical projects, such as a Camp Hymnal; writing articles on The Hymnal, 1940 for The Mandate (prayer book society journal).

How do I stay refreshed and ready to serve others? Each day of my life is enclosed and supported by Worship, Prayer and Study. This happens mainly through public reading of the Daily Prayer Offices of the Church. My days begin with 8:30 Morning Prayer (Matins) and end with 5:30 Evening Prayer (Evensong). This discipline keeps me grounded in the worship of the Most Holy Trinity, One God, and it also unites me in fellowship with thousands (perhaps millions) of other Anglican clergy and devout laypersons throughout the world!

To God be the Glory.

3 Comments:

Blogger J. Gordon Anderson said...

That is a very good description of a day in the life of a parish priest!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Anglicans Aweigh said...

Hopefully your time as a curate is going well! It is very good to have that experience before taking your own parish.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Anglicans Aweigh said...

Oops! I didn't intend to discourage any possible vocations to the Sacred Ministry! "White Martyrdom", as you call it, is a joyful life, too, even if it is hard work. Our Archbishop said once, "You go from one feast to another."

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home