Monday, October 23, 2006


The AKJV/BCP Combination

This book is surely one of the most beloved, influential and well-used volumes among Anglicans in America today. It consists of the 1928 American edition of The Book of Common Prayer, bound together in one volume with the Authorized King James Version (1611) of the Bible. This King James Bible is not the same that you will most commonly find being offered by American publishers, however, for it contains the Apocrypha between the Old and New Testaments, just as did the original Bible authorized by James I.

When you hold these combined books in your hand, you have everything you need for reading the daily Anglican Services of Morning and Evening Prayer (unless you plan to sing a hymn, of course, in which case you will need the hymnal). When I first encountered the AKJV/BCP combination as a music graduate student some years ago, I was very excited, and immediately purchased two genuine leather-bound copies, just in case it would go out of print! (On a student income, that was quite an investment!) I am now busy wearing out my second and last copy reading Daily Morning & Evening Prayer at our parish, but I am very glad to see that I don’t have to worry about it going out of print, afterall. Although the original publisher (Preservation Press) is no longer in existence, the AKJV/BCP is now being printed by the Anglican Parishes Association.

There may yet be one thing lacking, however. I sometimes would like to have The Hymnal, 1940 bound in the same volume as well. A number of years ago, one could readily purchase The Book of Common Prayer bound together with The Hymnal, 1940, and I have several older copies of this particular combination in my study. Let the reader now imagine an AKJV/BCP/HYMNAL combination! This would make the combined book around a half-inch thicker, which may be difficult to bind securely, but I have seen larger books: perhaps it could be done.

5 Comments:

Blogger J. Gordon Anderson said...

That is EXACTLY the thing that I have been looking for - a BCP/Bible/Hymnal combo. I am surprised that they never made one before. I wish someone would make one too. I wonder hwo much something like that would cost? The KJV and BCP are public domain, but I do not think the Hymnal is, and that is where the major cost would be (forget about the binding and all).

8:15 AM  
Blogger Anglicans Aweigh said...

I have heard too that the hymnal is still copyrighted by Church Hymnal Corporation (owned by the Episcopal Clergy Pension Fund). They last printed The Hymnal, 1940 in 1981, and the binding of that edition is rather weak. It seems to have been made more for personal use than for heavy public use.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Anglicans Aweigh said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Anglicans Aweigh said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Anglicans Aweigh said...

d.b., please let me know how it goes.

And let me know if the finished product weighs any more than the Antiochian "Five Pounder"...maybe I won't need to exercise anymore.

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home