Friday, April 06, 2007

Good Friday

During Passiontide, the two weeks leading up to Easter, the passion (suffering) of our Lord is juxtaposed with our exultation in his victory over death.

At the Parish Church today we express our sorrow for the terrible things our Lord had to endure at the hands of evil men. The interior of the Church is stripped bare of all its beautiful furnishings, and the altar and altar cross are covered with black veils.
Yet, this cloud has a silver lining. Even during the sorrow of Good Friday we are mindful of the "rest of the story". Peeking around the corner of the sacristy door this morning, I noticed one of our Easter flower arrangements, beautifully arranged by M., waiting be put out on Easter Even. And as I happened through the Parish Hall downstairs, I was greeted by the heady scent of Easter Lilies, also waiting to be put around the altar.

Another Good Friday blessing appeared in one of our flower beds at Church today: those who attended Morning Prayer noticied that the tulip bulbs that N. buried in the ground last fall, have sprung forth in gorgeous, blood-red flower.

4 Comments:

Blogger Continuing Home said...

I saw those! Was thinking of taking a photo, but you were ahead of me.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Drew Miller said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:48 AM  
Blogger Drew Miller said...

I thoroughly enjoyed the Seven Last Words from the Cross program (in fact, I blogged about it). Thank you so very much!

Faithfully yours,

Drew

P.S., Sorry about the deleted post. I'm still learning my way around Blogspot.

1:52 AM  
Blogger Anglicans Aweigh said...

"Blogspot" is a little like the Christian Faith in the sense that you grow in maturity through suffering :)

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home